User Roles and Capabilities
bbPress comes built in with user Roles that give the website owner the ability to tailor user access to their website. This page details the bbPress capabilities that each role has.
You manage bbPress users roles in the same way you manage WordPress user roles. (/wp-admin/users.php)
Under the hood details of the roles and capabilities introduced with bbPress 2.2 can be read here.
(bbPress user Roles can be found in /includes/core/capabilities.php)
For more general information on WordPress Roles and Capabilities, refer to the guide in the WordPress Codex.
For advanced editing of bbPress User Roles checkout @JJJ‘s plugin by Advanced user capability editing for bbPress.
Summary of Roles
The default bbPress Roles are:
- Keymaster – Can create, edit and delete other users’ forums, topics and replies. Can manage Tags, and moderate a forum with the moderation tools. Has access to global forum settings, tools, and importer.
- Moderator – Can create and edit forums. Can create, edit and delete other users’ topics and replies. Can manage Tags, and moderate a forum with the moderation tools.
- Participant – Can create and edit their own topics and replies.
- Spectator – Can only read topics and replies.
- Blocked – All capabilities are explicitly blocked.
For more information: bbPress User Roles and Capabilities